Sunday, December 24, 2006

The Slippery Eel

Merry Christmas


In the spirit of Christmas, I found this funny great video above on a blog that I just discovered, from Nevada, Sunni Kay's RANTINGS, RAMBLINGS, AND OTHER MISCELLANEOUS STUFF. I think you'll enjoy the blog as much as I, and you might get a laugh from the video.

Try Getting a Straight Answer from the Slippery Eel


c
andor is sadly missing.



Part of the reason that John Bolton was never confirmed as ambassador to the United Nations, and was roundly criticized, was that he spoke the truth. He was not a diplomat, some say. For example, he was not averse to criticizing the United Nations for its corruption.

Contrast this style with the new Secretary General of the United Nations, Ban Ki-moon, who is called the Slippery Eel. I saw him on some of the morning talk shows this morning, and he deserves this sobriquet. He basically says nothing. He sounds like a Miss America contestant when she pronounces she is "for world peace."





Blunt versus Diplomatic


It appears to me that there is a difference at this time in history between these two styles within the two major parties. Howard Dean, chairman of the Democratic National Committee, speaks bluntly, a style I like, but of course I don't enjoy the things he says. Barack Obama, U.S. Senator from Illinois, the fifth African American Senator in U.S. history, is the diplomat, barely saying anything, but of course paying heed to the almighty liberal mantras. Senator Hillary Clinton from New York, kind of sways back and forth between being diplomatic and being blunt; again, a style I like, but I don't like her agenda.

click to show/hide the rest of the post


On the conservative side, Bush is the diplomat, barely communicating anything when he speaks, but sticking to his agenda always, which is one-eighth conservative and seven-eighth's liberal. (I do have to give him credit for holding the line on taxes and being resolute in Iraq.) The really blunt guy on the conservative side is Representative Tom Tancredo, from Denver, who is our champion against illegal immigration. Tancredo keeps getting re-elected, but he commands no national power base.

Pundits versus Politicians


This whole situation is interesting to me, as I see the outcomes for bluntness with politicians versus the outcomes with pundits are different. Politicians like Bolton and Tancredo don't seem to get rewarded much for being blunt. Pundits, though, like radio talk-show hosts Rush Limbaugh and Michael Savage on the right, and media counterparts Al Franken and Keith Olberman on the left, seem to enjoy great popularity and to reap great wealth from their decisive stands.

I think that politicians don't benefit from their bluntness because they need a majority of voters to elect them. Bolton needed American support and world cooperation to be effective. He couldn't even get confirmed. Tancredo needs national support for his immigration policies, not just local interest.

The pundits don't need majorities in order to "win." They do perfectly well with niche markets. Rush and Savage get the hard-core conservatives, and Franken and Olberman the hard-core liberals.

As a result, I wind up liking Limbaugh, Savage, Franken and Olberman much more than I like the average politician. Rush, Michael, Al and Keith speak their minds, which is what I want in America.

I don't have a solution for this state of affairs, except I think you get what you deserve. I believe we ought to support more politicians who do speak their minds.


Crazy for Obama


I was all excited recently, like the rest of America, with Barack Obama. I am happy to see a black man seriously contend for the presidency. After all, he does not carry the same baggage as Democratic one-time black candidates Jesse Jackson nor Al Sharpton, two guys who do speak their minds, but unfortunately who are also demagogues.

Yet, as I hear more and more of what Barack says, I realize he is saying nothing. He is a diplomat. What's worse, he is a liberal diplomat—which means he will ultimately appease his base. He does not appear to have any great ideas, and continues to say zilch. How long can the excitement last? Is this still better than Sharpton? Yes, but not very inspiring.


Solution


My solution is this. I want politicians to be blunt enough to be real leaders. I want them to firmly believe in their political philosophies and take their chances with the voters. I favor Tancredo's solution. Say what you think and then let the voters decide. Yes, this means that Tancredo will forfeit any national stage for his ideas, and the Bolton's of the world will never get confirmed—but I prefer knowing where people stand than having them appease me but then later betray me when the voting on issues starts.

So, I prefer Howard Dean over Barack Obama; John Bolton over anyone they will appoint next; and Tom Tancredo over California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger (another diplomat and appeaser to boot).


The Payoff for Bluntness


Yet, again, what is the payoff for bluntness? I won't vote for any Dean-like character, no matter how much I like their bluntness. I won't vote for any rabid liberal, nor for a demagogue of any party.

The only payoff for bluntness from me, then, is if you are a blunt conservative. Then, I will respect, admire, love and vote for you. I will be passionate about you. I am passionate about Tancredo. I am not passionate about Schwarzenegger. I am passionate about Dean, too. I passionately abhor the man.

Passion, that's the payoff for bluntness. Passion can get you elected, and move your agenda. It can also keep you from being confirmed. It's a double-edged sword.

The Leaderless U.N.


I'm glad the reign of the corrupt U.N. apologist Kofi Annan is over, but I'm sad we now have a diplomat taking his place, instead of a leader. And I'm sad to see John Bolton go.

Ho, Ho, Ho!


God bless you all and Merry Christmas.


click to hide most of this post


Rock

(*Wikipedia is always my source unless indicated.)

Subscribe to my feed
                                          

Join me in the war on error, in the fight for truth, justice, and the American way! Support this site! Wanna swap links? It’ll help us both. Truth—The No Spin Politically Incorrect Zone

Join or Surf Rock's Political Blog Ring. Both Liberals and Conservatives are Welcome.


Technorati Tags for this post: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,


5 comments:

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

merry christmas rock! have a wonderful day..... bee

Rock said...

Empress Bee, Merry Christmas. You too! Have a great day!.

Sarge Charlie said...

The loss of John Bolton is tragic, I did have some hope with the loss of our past leader of the UN, I know nothing about this guy but it sounds like the more you change things the more they stay the same.........

The old sarge

Anonymous said...

I share your feelings exactly. I would love a pedal to the metal conservative to run for office who has the courage to say what Rush says. Yet, when a lib actually has the courage to say what they're really for, I realize they're a full-fledged, bordering on communist, kook. So, what are you gonna do? Merry Christmas!

Dean aka Sgt Dub said...

Two names for you from Oklahoma; one Democrat, Governor Brad Henry, a conservative democrat who honestly cares about the people and the job, and less about what his party thinks of him. One republican, J.C. Watts, former Congress respresentative. I would take either man all the way to the White House.
I agree with your assesment of the above mentioned folks. I respect these people for standing firm, you know their position, it doesn't sway with the wind, and they speak their minds inside America, outloud, not slipping into another country trying to appease liberals all over the world.
Yep, still having some problems, but it's not giving me the error and closing out anymore, you got that corrected. I'm making do, as I have to get my fix of truth each day.